Dec 06, 2019
To declare a Biology Major:
- A student must complete at least one of the following courses: BIO 201 , BIO 202 , or CHE 161 & CHE 168 .
- Complete the Major Declaration Form (link)
- Interview with the Biology Department faculty.
Major credit requirements:
- At least 38 total credits in the major
- At least 17 credits of collateral courses
- At least 15 credits in residence of 300 level or above courses
- Exit cumulative GPA of 2.50 in major
Graduate programs may require specific track collaterals. Please speak with the Biology Department for advising information.
A major in Biology consists of a minimum of 38 credits and 17 credits of collaterals.
One Organismal Course from the following:
One Ecological course from the following:
One Cell/Genetics course from the following:
One Quantitative course from the following:
11 credits of electives not used above:
Capstone Cluster - BIO 401 and three additional credits:
Collateral Requirements for Biology majors:
General Education Core Curriculum
Approaches to Individual and Social Questions
Intercultural Knowledge and Competence
BS/BSN Foreign Language
Degree Credit Requirements
- At least 120 degree credits are required for a bachelor’s degree. There is no limit to the number of credits which may be earned in one department.
- A minimum of 30 of the final 36 credits must be earned in residence to receive a bachelor’s degree from WLC.
- Students must also earn at least 15 credits in residence in upper division courses (300 and 400 level) in the major to receive a bachelor’s degree from WLC.
- If a major requires a capstone course, it is required to be taken at WLC.
- At least 9 credits in the minor must be taken at WLC.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 must be achieved to satisfy the degree requirements. Individual programs may require grade point averages higher than a 2.0 for courses used to satisfy the major.
Suggested General Education Sequencing
- Freshman : COL 101 (Fall), LAS 101 (Spring), Foreign Language/Foreign Language Diversity, Quantitative Reasoning, ENG 101, COM 101, THE 105/THE 110, ~9 cr. in the major
Sophomore: Biblical Theology, PED 100, 1-2 Approaches, declare major
Junior: Applied Theology, 1-2 Approaches
Senior: Systematic Theology, 1-2 Approaches, LAS 401/LAS 402
(Full general education information may be found here.)