Aug 16, 2022
To declare a Music Major:
- A student must complete MUS 110 , MUS 111 , MUS 120 , & MUS 121
- Two hours of lessons in one performance medium
- Participate in an ensemble for one year
- Demonstrate sophomore-level performance skill on an instrument
- Have a 2.75 minimum GPA in all music courses
- Demonstrate academic/performance potential relative to goals
- Complete the Major Declaration Form
Major credit requirements:
- At least 40 total credits in the major.
- At least 15 credits in residence of 300 level or above courses.
- Attend five recitals or concerts and participate in a performing ensemble each semester in residence
- Exit cumulative GPA of 2.75 in major.
A Music Major consists of 40 credits from the following:
Applied Lessons and Ensembles
At least 8 credits of private lessons/recital.
One major ensemble each semester. Ensembles may be audited with the director’s permission. If a music major audits an ensemble but does not meet the ensemble requirements, the director reserves the right to deny the audit at the end of the semester.
Demonstrate piano proficiency.
General Education Core Curriculum
Approaches to Individual and Social Questions
Intercultural Knowledge and Competence
BA Foreign Language
For the BA, one of the following:
Completion of three years of a high school foreign language, two of which must be sequential from the same language or completion of a college level foreign language course:
- GER 101 - Elementary German 1 4 credits
- GER 102 - Elementary German 2 4 credits
- SPA 101 - Elementary Spanish 1 4 credits
Note: If a course is used to satisfy the foreign language requirement it may not be used to satisfy the Intercultural Knowledge and Competence requirement.
Degree Credit Requirements
- At least 120 degree credits are required for a bachelor’s degree. There is no limit to the number of credits which may be earned in one department.
- A minimum of 30 of the final 36 credits must be earned in residence to receive a bachelor’s degree from WLC.
- Students must also earn at least 15 credits in residence in upper division courses (300 and 400 level) in the major to receive a bachelor’s degree from WLC.
- If a major requires a capstone course, it is required to be taken at WLC.
- At least 9 credits in the minor must be taken at WLC.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 must be achieved to satisfy the degree requirements. Individual programs may require grade point averages higher than a 2.0 for courses used to satisfy the major.
Suggested General Education Sequencing
- Freshman : COL 101 (Fall), LAS 101 (Spring), Foreign Language/Foreign Language Diversity, Quantitative Reasoning, ENG 101 , COM 101 , THE 105 /THE 110 , ~9 cr. in the major
Sophomore: Biblical Theology, PED 100 , 1-2 Approaches, declare major
Junior: Applied Theology, 1-2 Approaches
Senior: Systematic Theology, 1-2 Approaches, LAS 401 /LAS 402
(Full general education information may be found here.)